InterStim Therapy is a neuromodulation therapy that targets the communication issue between the brain and nerves that control the bladder. InterStim Therapy is used for treating urge incontinence and symptoms of urgency-frequency. InterStim Therapy involves the placement of a small device in the body. This device modulates the sacral nerves (nerves that control the bladder) with mild electrical pulses, helping the brain and the nerves to communicate so the bladder can function properly.
- May reduce symptoms of overactive bladder
- InterStim Therapy is reversible and can be discontinued anytime
- InterStim Therapy starts with an evaluation so you can experience how it feels and determine if it will help reduce your symptoms
InterStim Therapy has risks and side effects, just as any surgical procedure does. This include…
- Pain at the implant site
- Device problems
- Changes in urinary or bowel function
- Uncomfortable stimulation
Often times, patients who undergo InterStim Therapy experience relief from overactive bladder symptoms right away. InterStim is a proven method for those patients who are not helped by medications.